Homeowners and business owners alike dread having to deal with plumbing problems. Unfortunately, these issues are too common and can lead to costly repairs if not addressed promptly. This blog post will discuss the top five plumbing issues found during inspections and provide tips on fixing them. With this knowledge, you can prevent minor problems from becoming major headaches.
Leaky faucets are not only annoying, but they can also lead to higher water bills and potential water damage. Fortunately, fixing a leaky faucet is often a simple task that can be accomplished with a few essential tools.
- First, turn off the water supply to the faucet.
- Remove the handle and unscrew the packing nut to expose the stem.
- Inspect the stem for damage and replace it if necessary.
- Replace any worn or damaged washers, O-rings, or seals.
- Reassemble the faucet and turn the water supply back on.
If the leak persists, it may be time to consult with a professional plumber, such as the experts at Robert Brown Plumbing.
Slow or Clogged Drains
Slow or clogged drains can be a significant inconvenience and, if left untreated, can lead to more severe plumbing issues. Here are some tips for addressing this common problem:
- Use a plunger to try to dislodge the clog.
- Try using a drain snake or auger to break up the blockage for stubborn clogs.
- Avoid using chemical drain cleaners, which can damage your pipes and the environment.
- Regularly clean your drain stoppers and screens to prevent buildup.
If your drains continue to be problematic, it's time to call in a professional plumber for a thorough inspection and cleaning.
A running toilet can waste significant water, leading to increased utility bills. To fix a running toilet:
- Check the flapper for damage and replace it if necessary.
- Inspect the fill valve and float for proper function and adjust as needed.
- Ensure the chain connecting the flapper to the flush handle is the correct length and not tangled.
If your toilet continues to run after making these adjustments, it may be time to consult a professional plumber.
Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure can make everyday tasks like showering and washing dishes frustrating. To address low water pressure:
- Check your water meter and main shut-off valve to ensure they are fully open.
- Clean or replace your faucet aerators and showerheads to remove mineral buildup.
- Inspect your water heater for sediment buildup and flush it if necessary.
A professional plumber can help diagnose and fix the issue if these steps do not improve your water pressure.
Water Heater Issues
Water heater issues can result in a lack of hot water, inconsistent temperatures, or leaks. To address water heater problems:
- Check the thermostat and adjust it if necessary.
- Inspect the heating element and replace it if it is damaged or not functioning correctly.
- Flush the water heater to remove sediment buildup.
- Inspect the pressure relief valve and replace it if it is leaking or not working properly.
If your water heater continues to cause problems, it may be time to consult a professional plumber to determine whether a repair or replacement is necessary.
By being aware of these common plumbing issues and knowing how to fix them, you can save yourself time, money, and frustration. However, if you need professional assistance, the experts at Robert Brown Plumbing are here to help. With years of experience and a commitment to customer satisfaction, we can address your plumbing needs in the Bossier City, LA area.
Contact Robert Brown Plumbing today to schedule an inspection or service call!